THE family of a chef who was killed in the Bayesian superyacht tragedy want justice for his death, a report claims.
Recaldo Thomas, 5, was among the seven people who died after Brit billionaire Mike Lynch’s yacht sank off the coast of Sicily during a storm last year.
Recaldo Thomas who died in the Bayesian yacht tragedy last year
Credit: PA
Recaldo was a chef aboard the yacht when it sunk
Credit: Facebook
The Bayesian superyacht sunk off the coast of Sicily during a storm last year
Credit: EPA
Recaldo’s family are now seeking compensation for his tragic death – and they could be in line for a $40 million payout.
The chef’s sister-in-law Joycelyn Palmer told MailOnline: “We just want justice and yes, we will be looking at compensation, someone must pay for what happened.”
Last week a report detailing the “vulnerability” of the yacht revealed how the tragedy unfolded.
A thorough investigation has shown that the ship was likely knocked over by “extreme wind” and was not able to recover.
But Palmer believes the yacht’s 236ft mast may have also played a part in the tragic sinking.
Recaldo’s sister-in-law said: “I looked up the yacht and when I saw the mast I just thought that must have something to do with what happened.
“You can even see it in one of the last pictures he sent us.”
She also claimed the crew were at fault as they had taken the weather for granted and didn’t alert the captain until it was “too late”.
Palmer recalled the emotional turmoil the family experienced in the aftermath of the tragedy.
She said it took six long weeks to get Recaldo’s body, meaning they were unable to have an open-casket funeral and say their goodbyes properly.
Influencers left stranded after $4m Lamborghini yacht sinks off Miami Beach
Palmer described her brother-in-law as a lovely man who had a heart of gold and an infectious smile.
The family’s lawyer said they were looking at a US lawsuit against “various entities”.
They added that a $40million pay-out would not be out of the question for the “emotional loss”.
Recaldo was among seven passengers who died when the 184ft yacht capsized and sank on August 1.
The 184ft £14million superyacht
Mike Lynch and his daughter were among the seven people who died in the deadly sinking
Credit: EPA
Anchored off the coast of Porticello Harbour in Palermo, a downburst of stormy winds hit the boat causing it to topple.
It sunk to the sea floor in minutes and prompted a huge five-day search operation with specialist divers, underwater drones and helicopters.
Recaldo was found dead near the wreck site on August 1, but it took several more days to recover six missing guests including the Brit billionaire and his daughter.
New York lawyer Chris Morvillo and wife Neda also died, as did Morgan Stanley international chairman Jonathan Bloomer and his wife Judy.
Just two months before the disaster, Lynch had been cleared of carrying out a massive fraud over the sale of his software firm Autonomy to Hewlett-Packard in 2011.
The boat trip was a celebration of his acquittal in the case in the US.
Recaldo’s family has raised concerns about the reason the yacht sunk
The yacht sunk on August 1
Credit: EPA
An interim report by the Marine Accident Investigation Branch revealed last week that the yacht had a “vulnerability” to lighter winds which the owner and crew may not have known about.
Andrew Moll, chief inspector of marine accidents, said: “The findings indicate that the extreme wind experienced by Bayesian was sufficient to knock the yacht over.
“Further, once the yacht had heeled beyond an angle of 70° the situation was irrecoverable.
“The results will be refined as the investigation proceeds, and more information becomes available.”
The salvage operation for the superyacht is officially underway.
Floating cranes, remote-controlled robots, and specialist divers amongst other marine experts are all helping to recovery the vessel.
But the operation had to be put on pause just days after it started when a diver died.
The diver, who is thought to be a Dutch national, reportedly died when working 160ft below the ocean alongside other recovery workers to cut the boom of the yacht.
The mission to life the yacht from the seabed is underway
Credit: Reuters
Emergency services after the tragedy
Credit: PA
After an unsuccessful attempt trying to cut the section, the divers are believed to have used a blow torch.
Local media speculated that the man was hit by part of the cut boom as it came off whilst he was underwater.
News
Emmerdale BOMBSHELL: Bradley Johnson ‘in complete shock’ over Vinny’s dark new twist — “I didn’t see it coming!”
Emmerdale star Bradley Johnson, who plays Vinny Dingle, recently admitted he was “in complete shock” when he found out about…
Robert’s Return SHAKES Emmerdale! Victoria’s exit sparks shocking new chapter for Ryan Hawley’s character
In a twist that’s sent ripples through Emmerdale fandom, actor Ryan Hawley is reportedly set to reprise his role as…
Actor Gemma Oaten, who plays Gabby Thomas, influences a major twist as her character intervenes in the Dingles vs. Tates feud: “You’re in a much stronger position than you think—Kim is desperate for that land.”
Emmerdale is no stranger to explosive family feuds, but a fresh twist in the long-running war between the Dingles and…
Emmerdale fans are convinced Mackenzie isn’t really dead after his brutal showdown with John. Despite the shocking arrow and boulder scene, viewers believe Mack could still be alive — pointing out missing cast interviews and wild theories of John secretly keeping him captive. Could Mack return?
Emmerdale fans are buzzing with speculation after the apparent death of Mackenzie Boyd in a brutal showdown with John, but…
ESPN in Turmoil! Staff Threaten to Quit Over Treatment of Stephen A. Smith — “We Won’t Stay Silent Anymore”
Colleagues at ESPN Have Spoken Out, Saying They’ll LEAVE the Network if the Bosses Keep “Doing This” to Stephen A….
ChatGPT said: CNN’s Anderson Cooper Stuns Fans With Emotional Announcement: Ex-Partner Will Co-Parent His Two Children — “I’m So Grateful He’s in Their Lives”
Anderson Cooper’s 2 Children: All About Wyatt and Sebastian Anderson Cooper, the prominent CNN anchor, has opened up…
End of content
No more pages to load