An emotional Poh Ling Yeow struggled to hold back tears on Tuesday’s MasterChef Australia as she bid farewell to contestant Andre Ursini.
Andre appeared alongside Poh on the inaugural MasterChef season back in 2009.
However, his second chance at success was foiled after he lost a Pressure Test that tasked Andre and fellow contestants Alanah Lowes and Snezana Calic with recreating an ornate dessert by renowned pastry chef Philip Khoury.
When it came time for Andre to make his exit, judge Poh became emotional when reflecting on the journey that she and Andre had started together.
‘Andre, we started this journey together – whoa – 16 years ago,’ Poh said, with tears welling in her eyes.
An emotional Poh Ling Yeow (pictured) struggled to hold back tears on MasterChef as she bid farewell to contestant Andre Ursini
Andre’s second chance at MasterChef success was foiled after he lost a Pressure Test
‘For the past 16 years, I’ve watched you not only become a really brilliant cook and an amazing entrepreneur, but an amazing husband and dad.’
An emotional Poh added that having the chance to see Andre in the MasterChef kitchen again was a pleasure.
‘It’s been so nice and fun to be back in the kitchen with you,’ she said.
‘I love that you’ve always marched to the beat of your own drum.’
Poh then lightened the mood, joking: ‘And I hope that that never changes, even though sometimes I do – no I don’t, I really don’t.’
Obviously touched by Poh’s heartwarming tribute, Andre wasn’t shy about returning the compliments.
‘I was pretty inspired that first time I walked in – seeing my mate in the bright shining light where she belongs,’ he said.
Andre continued to heap praise on the MasterChef judge saying: ‘Poh is a jewel in the crown of the Australian culinary scene.’
Andre appeared alongside Poh on the inaugural MasterChef season back in 2009
‘She’s one of the most genuine and unique individuals that we’ve all been around.
‘She’s basically going to start levitating any year now,’ he joked.
Speaking to camera after making his emotional exit, Andre was philosophical about his elimination, despite being ‘devastated’.
‘Being eliminated, I’m devastated, but I’ve come so far in the competition,’ he said.
‘It’s taken me 16 years to re-emerge – I came in here with no expectations and got to top ten.
‘I’m feeling pretty invigorated. I’ve rediscovered my passion for cooking after all these years and, from now on until the time I die, I’m going to keep cooking.’
Poh also repeated her sentiment on Instagram, commenting under a post on the MasterChef page about Andre’s exit.
‘This is very hard for me to say, but I’m super proud of you,’ she wrote.
‘Andre, we started this journey together – whoa – 16 years ago,’ said Poh, with tears welling in her eyes
Andre called Poh a ‘jewel in the crown of the Australian culinary scene’
‘It has shaved 2 years off my life with every pressure test I’ve had to watch you do so that adds up to 6 years, which is very expensive for my well being.
‘I love the conviction and stoicism with which you walk through life. See you on the flip side.’
Fans also flooded to the comments to echo Poh’s words, with many praising Andre as their favourite contestant.
‘Dammit. I’m sobbing,’ one wrote. ‘So sad you’ve gone Andre. What an absolute joy you are.’
Another chimed in with a similar: ‘So sad to see that one of my favourites has left. You are a joy to watch Andre. You’re amazing and always full of energy and humour. You will be missed.’
Andre appeared alongside 19 hopefuls, including Poh and Julie Goodwin, on the inaugural MasterChef season in 2009.
He was eliminated while Julie and Poh went on to claim winner and runner-up titles, respectively.
News
In a STUNNING twist, Team USA’s SNUB of Lane Hutson has thrown Kent Hughes into a CONTRACT NIGHTMARE, forcing the Canadiens GM to make a potentially FRANCHISE-ALTERING decision. Insiders warn this shocking development could DESTROY Montreal’s long-term plans and leave fans in complete DISBELIEF over what happens next!
Montreal Canadiens fans are still reeling from Team USA’s controversial decision to leave Lane Hutson off their initial Olympic camp…
Kent Hughes is reportedly preparing to make a BLOCKBUSTER move that could SHAKE the entire NHL, as a Canadiens forward suddenly gains massive TRADE VALUE. Rumors are swirling that this UNEXPECTED decision might completely TRANSFORM Montreal’s roster and leave fans REELING from one of the most DRAMATIC trades in recent history!
Montreal Canadiens General Manager Kent Hughes has never been one to shy away from bold decisions, and this offseason has…
Lane Hutson may be a RISING STAR with the Canadiens, but his mother Julie has just made a SHOCKING revelation—she’s deeply worried about her son’s future in the NHL. Her emotional plea has left fans STUNNED and questioning whether Hutson’s career could take a DRAMATIC turn nobody expected!
When a young hockey star bursts onto the NHL scene, it’s easy for fans and analysts alike to get swept…
The hockey world is in SHOCK as a BOLD trade offer puts Rasmus Andersson front and center—rumors swirl about a GAME-CHANGING deal that could SHAKE UP the entire league. Insiders claim this UNBELIEVABLE proposal could send star players packing and rewrite NHL history in one earth-shattering moment!
As the NHL trade market heats up, whispers of major moves are swirling around the Calgary Flames, and all eyes…
Nick Suzuki and Cole Caufield were LEFT STUNNED by the Canadiens’ MASSIVE trade, admitting they were “FREAKING OUT” behind the scenes—this UNBELIEVABLE move has sent SHOCKWAVES through the locker room and could change the future of Montreal hockey forever. Fans are in disbelief at what just happened!
In a summer already packed with surprises, the Montreal Canadiens have just pulled off a move that has their locker…
Insider bombshell: The Block’s Han & Can — what really went down behind the scenes 👀
“They weren’t totally comfortable with it at first.” The Block 2025 has been filled with drama, and controversial contestants Han and Can have been at the centre…
End of content
No more pages to load