Neighbours royalty Ian Smith has provided a health update following his shock cancer diagnosis.
The beloved Aussie actor, 86, appeared on Channel Seven‘s The Morning Show on Wednesday and told the hosts he was responding well to his cancer treatment.
‘I have got cancer. I know that because doctors tell me I have. But apart from that… No pain. I was supposed to die in March,’ Smith began.
‘I am having the easiest ride, seriously!’
He then revealed the unusual side effect he was experiencing from the ongoing cancer treatment.
From A-list scandals and red carpet mishaps to exclusive pictures and viral moments, subscribe to the DailyMail’s new showbiz newsletter to stay in the loop.
Neighbours royalty Ian Smith has provided a surprising health update following his shock cancer diagnosis. The beloved Aussie actor appeared on Channel Seven’s The Morning Show on Wednesday and told the hosts he was responding well to his cancer treatment
‘I’ve possibly never felt better. Everyone looks at me and says, “Look at your hair!”,’ he added.
‘They are all jealous I’ve got so much hair. I went through the treatment, started to lose my hair and went totally bald. I then went onto the immunotherapy and got a head full of hair… not just hair, but curly hair!’
In December, Smith was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive form of lung cancer called pulmonary pleomorphic carcinoma, which doctors initially told him was ‘non-fixable’.
But after being put on a revolutionary treatment plan – which he cheekily described as being a ‘guinea pig’ for – he’s defied expectations and is now hoping for ‘a year, maybe two’ of extra life.
‘I want to go forever,’ he said, beaming.
‘I don’t want to play Harold anymore, but I don’t want to stop acting.’
Smith’s final scenes had viewers across the country in tears – with his character announcing he was moving to Port Douglas, Queensland, in a sentimental send-off.
The actor admitted filming those last episodes was deeply emotional, especially surrounded by his co-stars – who he described as nothing short of ‘family’.
Smith then revealed the bizarre side effect he was experiencing from the ongoing cancer treatment
Last year, Smith was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive form of lung cancer called pulmonary pleomorphic carcinoma, which doctors initially told him was ‘non-fixable’
‘I love them all dearly,’ he said.
The veteran performer first stepped into Harold’s shoes in 1987 and went on to become one of Neighbours’ most iconic faces, known for his wholesome charm, slow-burning romances, and multiple disappearances.
But in real life, Smith is writing a comeback story even more dramatic than any soap plot. And while his days as Harold may be over, the man behind the moustache isn’t done yet.
‘I’m not cured,’ he said frankly.
‘But I’m here. And I feel fine.’
From defying death to dreaming of his next role, Smith is proving that age – and illness – is no match for the Aussie spirit.
‘I’ve been reborn,’ he said. ‘And I’ve still got stories to tell.’
In an interview with BBC Radio 5 Live, Smith revealed that he was ‘defying the odds’ after initially being told he would die by March this year.
‘I’ve got cancer, yes, I’m going to die soon but I seem to be defying the odds, which is good,’ he revealed.
In January, he told TV Week his cancerous tumour had been shrinking after three rounds of treatment, including immunotherapy and chemotherapy.
News
“TOO LATE!” — Caitlin Clark Left Kelsey Plum In Tears After Shutting Down Her Hate
“TOO LATE!” — Caitlin Clark Left Kelsey Plum in Tears After Shutting Down Her Hate at All-Star Weekend It was…
“NO CAITLIN, NO MERCY.” — What Sophie Cunningham did to the Aces has the entire league buzzing, and Caitlin Clark’s reaction from the sidelines spoke volumes.
“NO CAITLIN, NO MERCY.” — What Sophie Cunningham Did to the Aces Has the Entire League Buzzing, and Caitlin Clark’s…
“CAITLIN CLARK EARNED HER PLACE — AND HE SPOKE THE WORDS EVERYONE ELSE WAS AFRAID TO UTTER.”
“CAITLIN CLARK EARNED HER PLACE — AND HE SPOKE THE WORDS EVERYONE ELSE WAS AFRAID TO UTTER.” It was supposed…
”SHE NEVER MEANT FOR IT TO GO PUBLIC — BUT ONCE SOPHIE CUNNINGHAM STARTED, THERE WAS NO TURNING BACK.”
“SHE NEVER MEANT FOR IT TO GO PUBLIC — BUT ONCE SOPHIE CUNNINGHAM STARTED, THERE WAS NO TURNING BACK.” It…
In a STUNNING twist, Team USA’s SNUB of Lane Hutson has thrown Kent Hughes into a CONTRACT NIGHTMARE, forcing the Canadiens GM to make a potentially FRANCHISE-ALTERING decision. Insiders warn this shocking development could DESTROY Montreal’s long-term plans and leave fans in complete DISBELIEF over what happens next!
Montreal Canadiens fans are still reeling from Team USA’s controversial decision to leave Lane Hutson off their initial Olympic camp…
Kent Hughes is reportedly preparing to make a BLOCKBUSTER move that could SHAKE the entire NHL, as a Canadiens forward suddenly gains massive TRADE VALUE. Rumors are swirling that this UNEXPECTED decision might completely TRANSFORM Montreal’s roster and leave fans REELING from one of the most DRAMATIC trades in recent history!
Montreal Canadiens General Manager Kent Hughes has never been one to shy away from bold decisions, and this offseason has…
End of content
No more pages to load