The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) are intensifying efforts to locate missing siblings Jack and Lilly Sullivan, after their disappearance in Nova Scotia on May 2. Officers have conducted extensive interviews, analyzed public tips and countered online misinformation as the investigation continues to grip the country.

Who Are Jack and Lilly Sullivan?

🛑 BREAKING🛑 THE SEARCH FOR JACK AND LILY SULLIVAN TAKE A DRASTIC  TURN🛑OPEN PANEL & LIVE CALL IN🛑 - YouTube

Jack, 4, and Lilly Sullivan, 6, are siblings from Pictou County, Nova Scotia, whose sudden disappearance on May 2 has galvanized the nation. The children were reported missing by family members after failing to return home. They were last seen at home. According to reporting from the National Post, the children’s stepfather, Daniel Robert Martell, said the two have undiagnosed autism and that they don’t typically stray far from home.

The case has resonated widely across Canada, with local residents holding vigils and distributing flyers in hopes of aiding the search effort. Martell and the children’s mother, Malehya Brooks-Murray, have spoken to the media in the hopes of finding their children.

Canada missing children Searchers return to base camp after looking for missing children Lily Sullivan and Jack Sullivan in Lansdowne Station, Nova Scotia, on May 7, 2025. Ron Ward/AP Photos
What Is the Update in the Sullivan Case?

As of May 15, investigators have identified 35 people for formal interviews, focusing on community members and others with direct ties to the siblings, according to the National Post. The RCMP team includes specialized personnel from multiple units, notably major crime and forensic experts, all working to determine what happened to the two children after they were last seen.

Officials said that more than 180 tips had been received, though many were determined to be unhelpful. Ground searches in targeted areas continue, with officers analyzing forensic evidence along with information from the community.

The search was narrowed on May 7 to targeted areas within about 2 square miles of dense, rural forest near Gairloch Road. It has included as many as 160 trained volunteer searchers, along with additional support from others, totaling tens of thousands of search hours. Authorities also issued two vulnerable missing persons alerts as part of the effort to find the children.

The case has triggered a national outpouring of concern and spurred intense police activity, underscoring the challenges that arise when social media speculation intersects with criminal investigations. While community tips have the potential to provide crucial leads, misinformation can divert law enforcement resources and disrupt investigative focus.

“Both children are still missing,” RCMP Public Information Officer Corporal Carlie McCann told Newsweek. “We ask that people spread the word through social media respectfully, about this investigation and all ongoing missing person searches.”

What People Are Saying

🛑BREAKING 🛑 THE LATEST NEWS AND RUMORS ON JACK AND LILY SULLIVAN🛑 OH  IT'S NOT GOOD - YouTube

Malehya Brooks-Murray, the children’s mother, previously told CTV: “I just want to remain hopeful, but there’s always in a mother’s mind, you’re always thinking the worst.”

Daniel Robert Martell, the children’s stepfather, told the National Post of the morning they went missing: “She had a pink shirt on. We could hear Jackie in the kitchen. A few minutes later we didn’t hear them, so I went out to check. The sliding door was closed. Their boots were gone.”

Staff Sergeant Curtis MacKinnon of the Pictou County District RCMP, in a press release: “We continue to work day and night on this file. Like all Nova Scotians, we want answers and we want to know what happened to these children.”

What Happens Next

RCMP investigators plan to continue their interviews with identified individuals and assess any emerging leads. Searches are ongoing in targeted locations based on forensic and tip-based data. Law enforcement has reiterated the importance of public cooperation, while also calling for restraint and responsibility on social media platforms.

Individuals who may have information about the siblings’ whereabouts are urged to contact the Pictou County District RCMP at 902-485-4333. To provide tips anonymously, contact Nova Scotia Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477), submit a secure tip online at www.crimestoppers.ns.ca or use the P3 Tips mobile app.

The search for missing Nova Scotia siblings, six-year-old Lily Sullivan and her four-year-old brother Jack, has entered a critical phase as new details continue to emerge, including a statement from their mother that is drawing widespread attention and scrutiny. In a recent interview with local media, the children’s mother revealed that she and her partner were asleep at the time the children reportedly disappeared from their rural property in West River Station, Pictou County.

“We were sleeping,” the mother said during the emotionally fraught conversation. “I woke up, and they were gone. We searched the house, the yard, everywhere. And then we called the police.” Her voice trembled as she recounted the terrifying moment of realizing her young children were no longer in the home. The family has lived in the area for several years and described the children as “curious and active,” with a love for the outdoors.

The mother’s admission has added a new layer of complexity to the ongoing investigation. While the RCMP has not made any public accusations or announced any suspects, officials confirmed that they are thoroughly reviewing all aspects of the timeline, including the circumstances around the time the children were last seen. It remains unclear exactly when Lily and Jack disappeared, but the 911 call was placed in the early hours of the morning, triggering an immediate police response.

Authorities have been careful in their public statements, urging both the media and the public not to jump to conclusions as the investigation continues. “We understand the community’s deep concern and the need for information,” RCMP spokesperson Sergeant Andrew Desroches said at a press conference. “We are investigating every lead, examining all timelines, and working closely with forensic experts. Our priority remains locating Lily and Jack.”

Since the children were reported missing, search and rescue teams from across the province have combed more than 30 square kilometers of rugged terrain surrounding the Sullivan home. The search has included helicopters, canine units, thermal drones, sonar equipment, and hundreds of volunteers. Despite these efforts, no physical trace of the children—such as clothing, toys, or footprints—has been found.

The revelation that the children may have left the home—or been taken—while the adults were asleep has fueled both sympathy and speculation. Some members of the public have expressed empathy for a family experiencing unimaginable fear and loss. Others, particularly on social media, have questioned how such young children could disappear undetected and without a sound.

Experts in child behavior and missing persons cases caution against placing blame too quickly. Dr. Marianne Keller, a child safety researcher at Dalhousie University, notes that it is not uncommon for children under the age of six to wake up early or wander from familiar spaces, especially in rural settings where doors may not always be secured. “The natural instinct for many families is to believe their home is a safe space,” she said. “Unfortunately, accidents and disappearances can occur in moments of vulnerability.”

Still, the RCMP continues to investigate the full context of the night in question. Officials have reportedly executed search warrants at the Sullivan home and have spoken extensively with family members, friends, and neighbors. As of now, no charges have been filed, and police maintain that they are treating the case as a missing persons search.

Meanwhile, attention has also turned to the family’s 16-month-old daughter, Meadow, who has reportedly been placed in the custody of Child Protective Services. While CPS has not commented publicly due to privacy laws, the children’s stepfather, Daniel Martell, told reporters that he is currently not allowed contact with the baby. Authorities have not confirmed whether this development is directly related to the disappearance of Lily and Jack or part of a broader child protection assessment.

Community support for the Sullivan family remains strong, despite growing public curiosity. Local churches have held prayer vigils, and neighbors continue to participate in search efforts and food donations for volunteers. Posters of the children have been placed throughout Nova Scotia, and an online campaign using the hashtag #BringLilyAndJackHome has gone viral, reaching tens of thousands of users across Canada.

At the same time, investigators have urged the public to avoid spreading unverified information online. False claims and conspiracy theories, they say, not only cause harm to the family but can also hinder the investigation by overwhelming tip lines and wasting resources on debunking rumors. “We are asking the public to rely on official RCMP updates and verified news sources,” said Sergeant Desroches. “Misinformation helps no one—especially not these missing children.”

Family members have continued to plead for information. In a video message released through RCMP, the children’s grandfather made an emotional appeal to the public: “If anyone has seen anything—anything at all—we’re begging you to come forward. We just want them home. Please help us.”

The search is expected to continue through the weekend, with renewed focus on nearby waterways, wooded trails, and properties. Investigators have also not ruled out the possibility that the children were taken by someone known to them. While there are no suspects named, RCMP officials confirmed that they are exploring all potential leads and that a criminal element has not been dismissed.

At the heart of the investigation remains the same urgent goal: finding Lily and Jack. The question of how, when, and why they disappeared is still unanswered. The mother’s statement that she and her partner were asleep during the children’s disappearance has provided a critical starting point, but it has also raised broader questions about what might have happened during those crucial hours.

As Nova Scotians await updates with hope and anxiety, investigators continue to ask for tips, footage, and any eyewitness accounts from the area on the night of the disappearance. For now, the focus remains on finding two young children whose absence has cast a long and painful shadow across a small, tightly knit community.